- Melissa Tayar
The Bake: S'mores Bars
S'mores are delicious. This is pretty universally accepted. But they aren't always convenient to make -- casual campfires aren't a thing for all of us. Luckily, this recipe delivers all the flavour without the rigamarole (though we know the rigamarole is fun sometimes, too!). Warning: These have a tendency to disappear quickly.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cornstarch
1/2 cup softened butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups marshmallow fluff
1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips (semisweet chips work, too)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 9 x 9 square pan with foil, making sure some foil hangs over the edges, and spray with some cooking spray.
2. In a bowl whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and cornstarch. Set aside.
3. With a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the vanilla and egg. Mix until combined, scraping down the bowl as necessary.
Slowly add in the flour mixture until just combined.
3. Press about 2/3 of the dough into the bottom of the baking dish in an even layer.
Spread the marshmallow fluff on top of the dough. (Tip: The fluff can be sticky -- go figure -- so try dropping spoonfuls across the dough and spreading together with the back of a spoon.)
Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the marshmallow fluff.
4. Tear off pieces of the remaining dough and place on top of the chocolate chips (there will be some spaces where the chocolate chips show through, but don't worry!).
5. Bake for about 25 min, or just until lightly golden. Let cool for at least 10 min before cutting into 16 squares (or, like, one huge one for you and 12 others to share).
Post image: Jessica Ruscello/Unsplash